Reebok fined $1m penalty

Wednesday, 19 March 2008
Reebok has been fined one million dollars for giving away toxic bracelets that came free with a purchase of children's shoes. Hundreds of thousands of lead-laced bracelets that reported caused the death of one child, were distributed by the American sportswear company. "The penalty settles allegations that Reebok International Ltd imported and distributed charm bracelets that contained toxic levels of lead," the Consumer Product Safety Commission said. A worldwide recall was announced in March 2006 of more than 500,000 of the Chinese-made bracelets, including 300,000 in the United States, after a four-year-old American boy died after swallowing the pendant on the jewellery.

Reebok said in a statement that it has introduced tough, mandatory product-checks since the recall. "Reebok has implemented strict, mandatory policies and procedures which ensure all gift-with-purchase and promotional items and premium products associated with our brand meet or exceed the highest quality and safety standards," chief executive Paul Harrington said.